When it comes to smoking and young people, there is no such thing as good news:
- The number of Arkansas teens smoking continues to hover above the national average.
- Cigarette smoking among all high school students has dropped from its 10-year high. However, it has seen a recent upturn, especially among Caucasians and Hispanics.
- Smoking among high school-age girls has gone up over the past year, with the greatest increase among Hispanics. Among high school boys, cigarette smoking has increased most significantly in Caucasian youths.
- Use of smokeless tobacco by high school-age boys has actually increased in the past year, with the greatest jump being among Caucasian youths.
- Successful attempts by youths to purchase tobacco from retail outlets have decreased over the past three years.